Binance CEO Changpeng “CZ” Zhao on Saturday announced that Binance will now support multiple stablecoins and discontinued its Binance USD (BUSD) Auto-Conversion policy introduced last September. The move surprisingly came after Circle’s USDC stablecoin depeg due to $3.3 billion exposure to failed Silicon Valley Bank.
According to an official announcement on March 11, Binance has stopped its BUSD Auto-Conversion of new deposits of USDC, USDP, and TUSD stablecoins. Users will not be able to withdraw USDC, USDP, or TUSD from their BUSD balances.
Moreover, users can convert their BUSD to USDC or USDP at a 1:1 ratio through the Binance Convert feature until 06:00 AM UTC on March 18. Users can also covert BUSD balances to TUSD manually on Binance Convert, but Binance is yet to announce a deadline for TUSD conversion.
Notably, TUSD, USDC or USDP conversion to BUSD is not valid as Binance earlier announced ending BUSD support as Paxos stopped minting BUSD after U.S. regulators ordered the firm.
Binance has also added multiple stablecoins to support the crypto community following Circle’s USDC depeg. Users can trade on new spot trading pairs BNB/TUSD, BTC/TUSD, ETH/TUSD, TUSD/USDT, USDC/USDT, and USDP/USDT.
Anti-Binance Stance of U.S. Regulators
Last year, Binance ended support for competing stablecoins including USD Coin (USDC), USDP, and TUSD for enhancing liquidity and capital efficiency for users. This led to a rise in BUSD dominance and other stablecoins such as USDT and USDC market cap continued to fall.
Binance CEO believes that U.S. regulators started an anti-Binance campaign to end its dominance in the crypto market fearing foreign control. Regulators have also opposed the acquisition of bankrupt crypto lender Voyager Digital assets to Binance.US, a U.S.-based arm of Binance. Meanwhile, Binance.US won the bankruptcy court’s approval for the acquisition, but U.S. DOJ challenged the judge’s decision.
- Binance Switches To Multiple Stablecoins, Discontinues Auto-Conversion Policy
- Crypto Prices Today: XRP Drops; Cardano, Polygon, Solana Gains Over 4% As Market Recovers
- Stablecoins In Trouble? USDC, DAI, USDD Depeg As SVB Crisis Deepens
- Here’s Why Bitcoin, Ethereum Price Rising Amid Bank Woes, Stablecoins Depeg
- USDC’s Dollar Peg Fumbles, Coinbase Pauses USDC:USD Conversions
- Circle’s USDC Reserves In Hot Water As Records Show Exposure To Silicon Valley Bank
- Just In: US Regulators Seize Silicon Valley Bank, To Protect Insured Depositors
- Can Bitcoin Escape Bank Run Contagion For Bullish Momentum Soon?
- Just-In: Massive 485 Million SHIB Burn In Single Transaction Ahead Shibarium Release
- Dogecoin, Shiba Inu Drop Over 10% As Crypto Market Crash Deepens
The presented content may include the personal opinion of the author and is subject to market condition. Do your market research before investing in cryptocurrencies. The author or the publication does not hold any responsibility for your personal financial loss.